TOUR Kyle Field
Back to Campus Landmark BuildingsPhotos Videos Panoramas
Recognized nationally as one of the most intimidating venues in college football, Texas A&M's Kyle Field has been the home of Aggie football since the mid-1920s. The field built in 1927 and 1929 was named for Edwin Jackson Kyle, the college's dean of agriculture and athletic council president.
In 1967, the stadium was expanded to include two decks of grandstands; the third decks were added to the east and west sides in 1980. The newest addition to the stadium is 12th Man TV, a structure that sits in the south end zone, standing 110 feet high and housing 4,000 square feet of video board. Along with 1,100 feet of ribbon board, it debuted at the start of the 2006 season.
Kyle Field is known as the "Home of the 12th Man"-a proclamation that is written on the third deck of the student side of the stadium. The tradition of the 12th Man was born in 1922, when Texas A&M played Centre College. The Aggies suffered so many injuries during the first half that the team only had 11 players. Coach Dana X. Bible called student E. King Gill out of the stands to suit up and stand by, ready to play if needed. Gill didn't play, but he was the last man the 12th Man on the sideline. The Aggies won the game, and since then, the entire student body stands ready and willing to support their team, a tradition that embodies unity, loyalty and willingness of Aggies to serve.
Download MP3 Read Transcript
14187 people have checked-in here
- The original 12th Man was E. King Gill in 1922. Coach Dana X. Bible recruited him from the stands because he feared A&M did not have enough players to finish the game. Talk about every fan’s dream.
- Want to be the 12th Man at an A&M game? Be prepared to stand for theentire game with the students. It symbolizes their "readiness, desire, and enthusiasm" for the Aggies.
- WHOOP!! Home of the 12th Man and the Fighting Texas Aggies!
- Home of the 12th Man ... Visit the statue of E. King Gill and the graves of Reveille, the first lady of Aggieland.
- Get your 12th Man towel out and be ready to yell!